This blog is created to support conversation generated from and about the learning process for MA Professional Practice (MAPP) in the Faculty of Arts and Creative Industries (ACI) at Middlesex University.

Sunday 5 March 2017

Dewey's Rabbit

AM chat – The Middle Ground.
This morning we talked about a number of things people felt ‘stuck’ on – AOL’s , the field of study for module two’s inquiry for instance. But then we stepped out of that and looked at ourselves within these situations. What is it like to feel stuck and how do other people cope with it? Sam suggested the Reflective diary really helped her consider and observe her own process for instance. Imogen said she noticed how she was looking for the product of being correct, when she knows she values process. She wondered if coming from a technically orientated background (waiting for correction as many dance classes structure themselves around when we were learning dance), if coming from this ‘technical’ background holds us back and chains us to right wrong. Jo talked about the feeling/illusion that ‘help’ is connected to ‘waiting to be told’. We talked about looking for the middle ground between ‘right’ and ‘wrong’.

Parimala talked about the big difference between self-image as a dancer and the habits and actions of study (getting a computer, writing to express yourself…). I wondered how you reconcile or expand yourself image to one of ‘student’, or ‘academic’ or ‘study’. I wonder if part of this opening to self-image to be bigger that the course asks you to do is part of the discomfort. (The discomfort of opening something that has been working well up until now – your professional persona- to allow it to have this new identity – student- added to it that you are not as familiar with.) But this personal struggle should not over shadow that actual act of getting on with just trying your best because after all everyone’s personal struggle is hard whatever they are doing. Parimala joked that an area of learning could be “my area of learning is to be right!!”

I kept being reminded of the idea of love (and acceptance). How being in the process (rather than extending forward to anticipate the product) is about being in love – valuing the present now and trusting and accepting yourself enough to be present.

Often so much of all of the conversation is about just actually doing the act of studying and so little is about the ideas and thoughts of the content of the study. Maite led a great discussion on the relationship people have with their students. I find that this kind of discussion is helpful because it is about the ideas you are working with. Through talking however, a conversation about one thing often generates answers to something else. This is because if you are ready to hear something you’ll hear it in whatever form it comes, and if you are not ready to hear it you can be as direct as you like about asking about it you will not feel anyone ever answers the question!

I spoke about learning I have just had doing a course about hip and knee exercises. We started by learning a massage method. As I was massaging my colleague I realised I was holding my breath more in the areas on her foot where I knew there was tension in my foot. When I hold my breath, I cannot be in the same space of empathy (love) with her body that the massage requires. In those places, therefore I am not doing as good a job as in other areas on her body where my body is ok. My note to myself was to think about “we can only envision for others what you can imagine in/for yourself.” This limit of are ability to see in others what they can be are constructed from the limits we impose on ourselves. So, in order to support others to develop or change we must be able to be comfortable in change ourselves because the change in other people is a change in our own identity: for instance I was a teacher of a beginner and as my student develops I become the teacher of an advanced person. This can only happen, my student can only become advanced, if I am willing to see myself as a teacher of an advanced student. If I am not willing to grasp that identity then I am also not able to allow my student to become that. That’s what the massage taught me.

Here is a great video:



Have a look at what other people in the conversation post. Please comment.





4 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this clip thank you for sharing.....Has made me think that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Thanks for sharing this video..this indeed provkoed my assumptions of being right or wrong, however as she said there is always another group of people who disagree with what you think is right..and most of us do everything we can to avoid being wrong. Realising being wrong emotionally hurts you, and leaves you dreadful. Thats why We look for some help and support from those who have expereinced in a similar situation and inspite of our efforts to do things right if something else happpens instead then at least we know the effort was precious. Nevertheless, I loved the idea of being in present and enjoying the process of learning despite of difficulties and challenges. Thanks Adesola for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry that I missed the discussion, as it seems to have been a good one. I had no idea that this degree would be so introspective. I do not know what all I imagined it to be, but I do believe that I expected to be told what to do. I think I have been waiting as well to be told whether what I am doing is right or wrong. I had no idea that we would explore these themes, and I certainly did not expect that it would lead me to an inquiry of 'truth' and it's implications inside of me / outside of me and both within and without. It is weird, profound, and uncomfortable as well that a review of Area's of Learning could become a spiritual/emotional excercise. However, I welcome it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete